Valentine’s Day is for romance but at the core of the holiday it is about showing appreciation to those we care about. If you are like me you care about your clients deeply. Not only do we care about our clients we need them. Without clients we have no business is the bottom-line.
So how can we show our appreciation?
Here are some simple things we can do:
- Call your clients and thank them. This is a great activity to have your entire staff participate in. Plus, this creates a positive interaction with your client instead of only hearing from you when something is wrong or you need money for maintenance.
- Send handwritten Thank You cards after they have spent money on a turnover, or went with your suggestion to give a tenant notice. This shows you appreciate their trust in you.
- Offer seminars with guest speakers such as CPA, Estate Planning Attorney, and Contractor to share their expertise on important issues related to owning rental properties.
- Offer Client Appreciation events such as BBQ’s, ice-cream social etc.
- When you do Charitable Giving on behalf of your business make an added contribution on behalf of your clients and send them a thank you card informing them of their donation.
- Provide gift cards to local restaurants or your client’s favorite activity such as a round of golf for referring a friend or family member to you.
- Create personalized coffee photo mugs with clients and their pets (take photos when they come for visits or when you have that client appreciation event) fill cups with chocolate and wrap with ribbon. They will love it and always think of you when using the mug.
- When clients call the office instead of rolling your eyes before you take the call put on a smile and greet them like your long lost friend. Your warmth and tone of voice will be welcoming and upbeat.
- When personal events happen in the lives of your clients – sad or happy be a resource and support to them. Simply providing the names of a few appraisers and offering to coordinate with tenants the appointments on behalf of the trustee at the passing of the property owner will lessen the stress of the moment.
Our existing clients are our best resource for growing our business. Ask for the business and look for opportunities to show your appreciation for their business and trust in you managing their rentals and they will spread the word to family and friends. I have learned over the years that great clients have great friends – just the type of people I want to have as clients.
We all know how good it feels when a client thanks us for making their life easier by managing their rental. We often only hear the problems but when we are shown appreciation doesn’t it make us smile and love what we do? Doesn’t it make us want to provide that exceptional customer service to that client that supports us?
This Valentine’s Day show your clients how much you appreciate them. Send them a card and box of chocolates.
Who knew growing your property management business could be so satisfying and delicious.
Kathleen Richards, is the owner of LandlordSource, The Property Management Coach, and Portola Property Management. She has authored Property Management A-Z, and teaches regularly at community colleges and conferences about property management. She has been active in her field and holds professional designations as Master Property Manager (MPM®) and Residential Management Professional (RMP®) from NARPM®. Kathleen has served at the local and state level on the boards for NARPM® (National Association of Residential Property Managers).
Disclaimer: LandlordSource does not represent the article content in this website as legal advice. It is shared information only and up to the reader to use this information responsibly, seeking legal advice as necessary to their business.